Processes are a marketer’s best friend. By creating a set of rules to help you focus, a good list allows you to write creative, effective posts that require less editing.
And today, I’m pleased to share my personal 26-point blogging checklist with you. This comprehensive set of guidelines and best practices has helped me write hundreds of articles over the years. I encourage you to print this handy guide and post it next to your workstation, or keep a copy handy on your desktop for easy reference.
Before You Write:
- Topic: What is the post about?
- Audience: The topic should appeal to one of your buyer personas
- Level: Based on your audience, determine beginner, intermediate or expert
- Spin: Say something different – what’s your take on the topic?
- Sources: Find and list reputable sources to link to. (Try 2-3 to start)
- Type: Evergreen, News jacking, Thought Leadership or Promotional
As You Write:
- Title/Headline: Write a great headline following the 4 U’s
- Headings: Use only one H1 heading. Use h2, h3, h4 etc. for sub-divisions.
- Readability: Keep paragraphs small (chunking) for web readability
- Content: Make it interesting
- Lists: Add bullets or numbered lists for key ideas to break up text blocks
- Interlinking: Add links to other pages/posts on your site when applicable
- External Linking: Link to your sources and external sites for more info
- Images: Include engaging images that contribute to your story (and get permission)
- Call to Action: Ask the reader to do something after reading
Optimizing for Publishing:
- Keywords: Include 1-2 target keywords for SEO
- Title Tag: Create a title tag of 50-55 characters including your keyword
- Meta Description: Write a persuasive blurb of 150-170 characters for search engines and social
- URL / Slug: add your keyword in your post URL
- Alt Text for Images: Use your keyword in image alt text for context
- Social Cards: Include Facebook, Twitter and G+ social cards
- Spell Check & Grammar: Double check your work
- Social Sharing: Share with your key social networks
- Email: Send to your blog subscribers
- Interlinking: Add links to this post in related articles on your site
- Comments: Check the comment section to continue engaging your audience
What did you think of my blogging checklist? Is there anything I’ve missed? I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments.
And if you’re looking for digital marketing support to help your business grow, contact Red Bamboo for a free assessment.